OK, this is a big one! I am amazed at how many people still buy peanut butter with added sugar & hydrogenated oils. Yuck! It amazes me that they even make the stuff! I guess many just don't know there's an easy alternative, which is why I started this series! (BTW, if you know of any easy healthy food alternatives, please leave a comment!) Most PB has added salt, sugar (sometimes even HFCS), and worst of all, hydrogenated oils. Look for a natural brand instead. I prefer the kind with just peanuts & salt. I bought it without salt once, and it's just not as tasty. To me, the natural PB tastes twice as good, and I do not miss the sugar AT all. Make sure you check labels, because a label of "all natural", legally, does not have to mean anything. Any product can be labeled "all natural". I buy Laura Scudder's, but Jiff has a natural line now as well (with some extra ingredients).
Substituted so far...
- Stevia or xylitol FOR: artificial sweeteners
- Cane sugar FOR: high fructose corn syrup
- Honey, maple syrup, molasses, agave, or fruit juice FOR: all refined sugars
- Bragg's Liquid Aminos FOR: Soy Sauce
- Peanut Butter w/ only peanuts & salt FOR: old school PB