- Remember you're talking to EVERYONE on FB, so posting passive-aggressive notes you hope one person sees is annoying. The same goes for very specific posts you know 99% of people won't care about.
- On the other hand, you have people posting things that are so random and vague, no one has any idea what they're talking about. The poster most likely wants someone to ask what's going on. Just tell us. No random posting.
- If you're posting something controversial, bring it on; just be ready for others to post an argument or evidence that counters what you're saying. Be ready for it, and as long as it's respectful, it's respectful for YOU to respond to it. At the very least, just say that you'll have to "agree to disagree" or something like that.
- Don't be afraid to post something that counters an outrageous claim or post by someone else. Of course, it's not always the time or the place, and wisdom may lead you rightly to keep your mouth shut, but don't let fear be your guide. Remember, you are not just talking to that person but to EVERYONE who reads that post. You have the power to be influential or at least make people think if it's something that really matters.
- Don't hate on people who post controversial stuff. If we can't talk about things like this, in a respectful way, on FB, where can we? It's intimidating to bring this stuff up in person, and trust me, you don't want me or anyone else asking you constantly things like, "Do YOU drink raw milk? Why not? Here are all the benefits...." "YOU let your baby CIO!? OMGee. That is terrible. Have you seen the research on that?" "Who are you voting for? You're NOT voting? OMGee. What kind of American are you?"
Trust me, you don't want that kind of confrontation going on. You don't want to have to tell me to my face how crazy I am, haha. On FB, you have the freedom to ignore it, roll your eyes at me, tell your husband how crazy I am, all in the privacy of your own home!
OR, better yet, we have the time to read controversial stuff, research it for ourlseves, and come up with our stance on things like this. Think of it as a giant think tank, full of bright people we can bounce ideas off of, instead of a bunch of annoying, outspoken people who don't agree with what YOU'VE always thought. Stretch yourself a little. :) I know all our kids are cute, but a FB full of ONLY cute kid pics and corny infographics is my worst FB nightmare, haha. We will all become mindless, thoughtless goons.
- Corny infographics are annoying. I'm probably being hypocritical saying this because of what I just wrote, but oh well, they are.
- Don't only post about ONE issue ALL the time. We all get on kicks where we're excited about something, but if you only post about ONE thing everyday, people will start to tune you out. This includes your business. Don't use your personal account to ONLY post about business. Start a new business account.
- We really do. not. care. that you're working out every morning or what you eat for every meal or that work is a little boring today. Don't be the boy who cried wolf. :) Be discriminating about what you post.
- Be encouraging.
- and most importantly, be TACTFUL! Just be nice. :)