Monday, July 17, 2017

The Church of my Past

Ephesians 4:15-16
but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.


The Church of my Past

You rocked me and kept me happy while Mom was in the service
Never making it there yourself, an untiring woman of duty

Your preached with such depth and wisdom
I was hooked every Sunday evening
Most kids came for the tootsie pops, I was enthralled with truth

Another teacher so gifted the adults preferred youth service to "big church"
You took a great fall that taught us pain and forgiveness
Maybe bad guys can hide well if they're crafty
But I think Satan just attacks fruitful ministers more ferosciously

You took me in as a daughter like your own
Filling a gap in my life so well
Coaching, affection, conversations that go beyond the shallow
Provided me great security and confidence for the future

You lent me a book that answered so many questions
Motivated me to search and learn, to seek God well

You saw in me things that weren't there
I guess they call that potential
I think it was "calling into existence things that don't exist" (Rom 4:17)
Leaders cheer others on

You were a true friend and never took advantage
You taught me of trust and what true friendship looks like
You set the bar high for any future guy
After all, I could never have settled after knowing you

You were real and authentic and never shied from the truth
Even if you thought it would make you look weak
We're all weak
Better to admit it and cling to God is what you taught me

I look at my present and see similar people- my parents, my husband and friends
But the church of my past is why I am where I am today. 

"How Beautiful is the Body of Christ!"


No comments: