Sour cream isn't too bad, but there is something even healthier... plain yogurt. I always try to substitute yogurt when a recipe calls for sour cream. Personally, I have never had a problem substituting it straight, but some people swear you need to add a Tbsp. of corn starch, because yogurt is thinner than sour cream. You could avoid this problem, as well as add extra protein if you use Greek style plain yogurt instead! Yogurt has beneficial probiotics which help with digestion and immunity and has less fat & fewer artificial ingredients than sour cream!
Substituted so far...
- Stevia or xylitol FOR: artificial sweeteners
- Cane sugar FOR: high fructose corn syrup
- Honey, maple syrup, molasses, agave, or fruit juice FOR: all refined sugars
- Bragg's Liquid Aminos FOR: Soy Sauce
- Peanut Butter w/ only peanuts & salt FOR: old school PB
- Fruit spread FOR: jelly or jam
- plain yogurt FOR: sour cream